Alger is the capital and largest city of Algeria and the Maghreb.
It is also called Alger la Blanche (Alger the White) for the glistening white of its buildings as seen rising up from the sea.
The modern part of the city is built on the level ground by the seashore; the old part, the ancient city of the deys, climbs the steep hill behind the modern town and is crowned by the casbah or citadel, 400 feet (122 m) above the sea. The casbah and the two quays form a triangle.
The name Algiers (Alger) stems from the Catalan “Alguère” which stems itself from the Arabic word Jezaïr (D´zaïr) (جزائر), meaning islands. This name was in fact given in reference to small islands facing the city before being connected to the continent just after 1530 by the Turkish king of Algiers Kheireddin Barbarousse.