Amalienborg Palace is the winter home of the Danish royal family, and is located in Copenhagen, Denmark. It consists of four identical classicizing palace façades with rococo interiors around an octagonal courtyard (Amalienborg Slotsplads). In the center of the square is a monumental equestrian statue of Amalienborg’s founder, King Frederick V.
Amalienborg was originally built for four noble families; however, when Christiansborg Palace burnt down on 26 February 1794, the royal family bought the palaces and moved in. Over the years various kings and their families have resided in the four different palaces.
Nordborg Castle is a small castle which lies on the southern side of Nordborg Lake in Nordborg on the island of Als in Denmark. The castle premises are currently used as a boarding school.
Nordborg Castle, with its white walls and red roof, has an ideal location on an islet in Nordborg Lake. The castle is surrounded by the small ducal town of Nordborg, which after 1945 was home to many Danfoss employees. There is now no trace of the first castle from the 12th century. But a new castle was built when Nordborg became part of the duchy of Sønderborg under Hans the Younger in 1571. The castle was the seat of the duchy of Nordborg in 1622-69, but it burned down in the 1660s. In 1676, the dukes of Pløn acquired Nordborg and built a new Italian-style castle, which the state took over in 1720. In 1766-72 the land was parceled out and most of the castle was demolished.
Sønderborg Castle is located in the town of Sønderborg, Denmark on the island of Als in South Jutland. It houses a museum focusing on the history and culture of the area.
Sønderborg Castle is reckoned to date back as far as 1158, when it was said to be founded by Valdemar the Great as a fortified tower. Over the centuries the castle has been enlarged and rebuilt, but in 1964-73 it was restored and returned to the Baroque form it was given by Frederik IV in the 1720s.
Under Christian III, in the mid-16th century, the castle was modified and converted into a four-wing castle. After the war of 1864, the province and the castle became German. On reunion in 1920, the Danish state acquired the castle, which came to house a museum of Southern Jutland history.
The Sønderborg Castle Museum houses local history collections from the Middle Ages to the present day, but with focus on the Schleswig wars of 1848-50 and 1864. The museum also hosts exhibitions on navigation, textiles and handicrafts and holds a small art collection with works by prominent Southern Jutland painters over the years.
The original ramparts around the castle became a visible part of the gardens in the 1970s.