Tassili n’Ajjer is a mountain range in the Sahara desert in southeast Algeria, North Africa.
Much of the range, including the cypresses and archaeological sites (see below), is protected in a National park, Biosphere Reserve and World Heritage Site, named the Tassili n’Ajjer National Park.
The range is also noted for its prehistoric rock paintings and other ancient archaeological sites, dating from neolithic times when the local climate was much moister, with savannah rather than desert. The art depicts herds of cattle, large wild animals including crocodiles, and human activities such as hunting and dancing. The art has strong stylistic links to the pre-Nguni Art of South Africa and the region, executed in caves by the San Peoples before the year 1200 BC.
The Basilica Saint Augustin (Basilica of St. Augustine) is a Roman Catholic basilica dedicated to Saint Augustine of Hippo located in Annaba, Algeria. The basilica is under the circumscription of the Diocese of Constantine. Construction on the basilica began in 1881, was completed on March 29, 1900 and the church was dedicated on April 24, 1914. The statue of St. Augustine in the basilica contains one of his arm bones.
Alger is the capital and largest city of Algeria and the Maghreb.
It is also called Alger la Blanche (Alger the White) for the glistening white of its buildings as seen rising up from the sea.
The modern part of the city is built on the level ground by the seashore; the old part, the ancient city of the deys, climbs the steep hill behind the modern town and is crowned by the casbah or citadel, 400 feet (122 m) above the sea. The casbah and the two quays form a triangle.
The city of Algiers was built in 960 by the founder of the Zirid dynasty Bologhine ibn Ziri on the remainings of the antique phenician Ikosim (The island with the gulls)(IV B.C). However, a legend would award twenty (Eikosi) Hercule´s companion the original name of this commercial city.
The name Algiers (Alger) stems from the Catalan “Alguère” which stems itself from the Arabic word Jezaïr (D´zaïr) (جزائر), meaning islands. This name was in fact given in reference to small islands facing the city before being connected to the continent just after 1530 by the Turkish king of Algiers Kheireddin Barbarousse.
Paghman is a small town located at the west of Kabul. The city was appreciated by the Afghan kings, that’s why they built many residences and monuments there.
There are several places of interest in Paghman :
– Paghman Victory arch : this monument was built by King Amanullah Khan to commemorate the victory over the English during the Third Anglo-Afghan War.
– Bagh-i Oumoumi (Public garden) : a beautiful garden built by King Amanullah Khan with the assistance of gardeners, architects and sculptors coming from Europe.
Some old photographs from Paghman:
Afghanistan Old Photos